All councils in the SE Region are recommended to use the IESE SP toolkit as they engage with the on-going Government’s Sustainability agenda. The full background to this can be accessed via the LGA site at: http://www.lga.gov.uk/lga/publications/publication-home.do
The consistent first step for all SE Region councils was agreed as part of a two year project 2006-8 and was for them to achieve at least Level 1 of the Sustainable Procurement Flexible Framework. Please visit the http://www.defra.gov.uk/ site for more details and access the “Building the Future” key document.
The model chosen to help all councils get there was to identify a small number of Exemplar councils in the Region who could lead the way and help develop the best practice tools needed. The Toolkit essentially follows the same 3 stages used during the project, and that approach is recommended to any council looking to use these documents:
The files can be downloaded via the Document Library below and the Case Studies can be downloaded via the section on the right of this webpage.
What did we set out to achieve?
In stage 1, the following was done to raise awareness:
- A presentation made available to SE Region councils on sustainable procurement;
File 1 named – “SP an inconvenient truth for Regional Project”
- Identify Exemplar council (s) in sub-regional group
- Exemplar councils created four case Study as below on what it has achieved sustainably;
• File 29 – Case Study 1: Canterbury City Council, Working with SMEs
• File 30 – Case Study 2: Lewes District Council, Accreditation Project
• File 31 – Case Study 3: Woking District Council, Desktop Equipment Project
• File 32 – Case Study 4: Crawley District Council, Sustainable Construction Project
What have we achieved so far?
Stage 2 identified embedding best practice:
- The Exemplar council(s) developed best practice and produced a documentation package to embed in their councils which consisted of the following 6 files named below:
• File 2 – named SP Briefing Note Internal Approval
• File 3 – SP Procurement Policy for SE Councils
• File 4 – SP Statement for tenders SOR
• File 5 – SP Evaluation criteria for PQQ ITT
• File 6 – SE Councils ITT SP Environmental Questionnaire
• File 7 – SP Cabinet report implications
The key document to implement after the Briefing Note is for a council to sign up to and adopt the standard SP Policy. Many Councils recommend issuing two documents together. The embedding of the above package should be supported by appropriate skills training for relevant staff. The recommended introductory training package is based on an “NHS 2 module model” with additional material available from Kingston University Surrey.
Further training opportunities are likely to be available within the SE Region, coordinated through IESE and with funding from DEFRA. The best delivery organisation, as recommended by DEFRA is Action Sustainability: http://dev.actionsustainability.com/training/options.aspx, a Third Sector not for profit organisation dedicated to improving sustainable procurement.
The following two training documents have been produced to support this process:
• File 8 – SP Training 2 module approach
• File 9 – SP Training module NHS PASA
How can your council benefit?
Stage 3 discussed reducing environmental impact and the following review documents and reports were produced:
The Exemplar councils reviewed selected product ranges from the Government’s “Quick Wins” programme. During the project 5 product reviews were completed and provide a model for completing further reviews
- Bio-diesel fuel documents produced;
• File 10 – Bio-diesel Fuel SP Product Review Final
• File 11 – Bio-diesel fuel Product review range review Lewes
- Fair trade tea and coffee documents produced;
• File 12 – Fair trade tea and coffee Products and Prices
• File 13 – Fair trade tea and coffee SP Product review Report Crawley BC
• File 14 – Fair trade tea and coffee Product review Costa Coffee Rainforest Alliance MT
• File 15 – Fair Trade Tea & Coffee Product review Summary Crawley BC
- Long life light bulbs and tubes documents produced;
• File 16 – Long life light bulbs and tubes SP Product Review Low Energy Lighting FINAL
• File 17 – Long life light bulbs and tubes Product review summary sheet Lighting CCC
- Recycled paper and card stationery documents produced;
• File 18 – Recycled paper and card stationery Product review report ESCC
• File 19 – Recycled paper and card stationery Product summary review ESCC
- Hot air hand dryers v. recycled paper hand towels documents;
• File 20 – Hot air hand dryers v recycled paper hand towels Product review Woking FINAL
• File 21 – Hot air hand dryers v recycled paper hand towels Product review Woking BC
• File 22 – Hot air hand dryers v recycled paper hand towels Product review summary Woking
The Exemplar councils also completed another key task recommended under the Government’s Flexible Framework. This is to review spend by category to establish those with the most potential for environmental impact reduction.
- Simplified versions of the Government’s templates were agreed below:
• File 23 – Spend prioritisation 1st tier version Methodology Tool
• File 24 – Spend prioritisation 2nd tier version Methodology Tool
This coincides with the on-going Spend Analysis work across the SE Region supported by IESE, and will enable a council to confirm through a risk assessment approach what the priority order is for taking action in its top spend areas to gain maximum environmental impact reduction.
- The simplified version is below:
• File 25 – Spend prioritisation Methodology Tool Template
- A Spend Prioritisation presentation which councils may find useful to run as a preliminary to a full Spend Prioritisation exercise is named below:
• File 26 – Introduction to SP Methodology Methodology Tool
- On completion of all 3 stages of the toolkit, a council should complete a self-assessment of their progress towards Level 1 SPTF using the Action Sustainability model endorsed by DEFRA as below:
• File 27 – Assessment Method for positioning Council’s SP achievement for end of projects
- Further information is available from a number of key websites see document list below:
• File 28 – List of Key SP Procurement Websites
Show only: Toolkits | Reports | Newsletters | PIDs | Our Products | PR | others | show all
Showing top five documents - click to show all (+)Showing all documents - click to show top five (-)
Sort by: when created | name | type